Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Melly's weekend in Melbourne





Victoria's license plate proudly boasts this Aussie state is "The place to be."  I was thrilled to check it ot for myself on this weekend getaway to Melbourne - my namesake city.  Which by the way, it is actually pronounced "Mel - bin" by all of Australia.  I was corrected many times this weekend and quicky called out on my 'mericaness when OVER annunciating my R's.   Mel-BIN not Mel-BOURNE.  These Aussies, I have to say, are just the nicest bunch.  I stayed with a super kind bloke and met some great people who were excited to hear my adventures and to talk about all things America- particularly TV.  The Aussies are loving Hardcore Pawn, My Secret Obsession & Dancemoms right now. 

Southbank Riverfront
I was also in Melbourne to check out its potential as a city to call home in December.  Everyone said I would love it and they were right.  It felt fantastic to be on a street filled with people on the go.  

There is a great food scene, and I ventured to Chin Chin for a spectacular spicy sweet sour savory Vietnamese party in my mouth lunch. 


Crispy Barramundi and Green Apple Salad - Yum Yum
The neighborhood of Fitzroy also loves to show off its foodie side.  I grabbed pizza from Umago for my Sunday pizza- wine- ice cream fix, but there were a ton more cafes and eateries to try. If I could describe Fitzroy, I would say it is the love child of DC's H street and Pittsburgh's Carson Street.  Vintage clothes and furniture, artsy store fronts, hipsters, coffee, good eats, music venues, and even a trolley!  

Not much from the outside, but great pizza.

Would love to work here
I happily lost several hours of my life in a store called Clear It and walked away with some grest deals.  $100 got me 2 new dresses, a bracelet, a new hat, a pretty tank, and shorts.  This is fantastic for Australia where the prices for clothes are sky high.  I've been missing my TJ Maxx but got my fix at this warehouse.  http://www.clearitonline.com.au/





I love my new $5 hat!
Some other cool things in Melbourne are The Queen Street Market and the side street cafes.  The Market has heaps of food stands to make all your cooking dreams come true.  I was introduced to these secret alley ways when I went for a lovely brekky with my adorable Aussie host.  It was very unique and had a European feel.  




Next stop, Hosier Lane to check out street art and graffiti.

Traveling solo = lots of self pics.
This made me giggle - this wall is taunting all the girls on their walk of shame.



The Last Laugh comedy show was a bargain for a night out on the town.  Irish comedian Dave Callan is worth checking out if you get the chance. http://www.standup.com.au/comedian/dave-callan  


Bright lights - Big City! Night time in Southbank looking over Port Philip Bay

Monday I was blown through the Royal Botanical Gardens in Southbank (so windy!) and to Chapel Street in South Yarra.  There are nice shops and restaurants to explore just outside the CBD.  


Royal Botanical Gardens
Shrine of Remembrance



I would love to live in Melbourne for the remainder of my time in Australia if I find work and think Pam will love it too.  Truth.  Crazy weather. There really are 4 seasons in one day in Melbourne.  Rain, sun, wind, cold/hot... it is hard to dress right.    But that can be overlooked in exchange for some city living.    


Last but not least, here's some new music to check out.  Angus and Julia Stone http://www.myspace.com/angusandjuliastone.   Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment