Wednesday, July 18, 2012

My new home

I have a new home for the next 4 months! Coomera, Queensland.  I'm about one hour by train into big city Brisbane and about 25 minutes from the Gold Coast beaches.  And the best part is I found a room to rent the NEXT street over from my new office.  My commute will take about 60 seconds walking.  30 if I jog and am running late.  I'm feeling very lucky to have found this room so close and to be living with some really great people.  Shared accommodation is pretty popular over here and advertised on Gumtree if you're in need of a place.  The owners of the home live on one side and then they rent out 3 bedrooms in the main house.  It is sort of a grown up dorm situation where we each get our own space but then share the kitchen, living room, patio, pool, laundry, and bathroom.  Each bedroom has a TV for watching movies and internet access.  I can't believe I will actually be in one place for that amount of time!  I got excited and went out to buy a few things to make the room feel more like me.  I picked up a hairdryer, hair straightener (priorities of course!) a pretty plant, a throw blanket, a rug, and some slippers.  It was a very weird feeling to unpack my bags completely and settle in.  Also within walking distance is a small grocery store, cafe, tavern, restaurant, pharmacy, thrift store, bakery, nail and hair salon, and bus stop.  I am set.


It feels very strange to be in a different place than Pam, and I've realized why I didn't go to another country on my own.  It is just way more fun to do it with a friend!  I miss her.  Our separation won't be for long though. And as soon as I get my first paycheck, we will start planning our next big trips.  Uluru (Ayers Rock) and Kakadu National Park are two spots in the Northern Territory we can't wait to see.  


I do have some big plans coming up before starting work.  This Saturday is Delectable Food Fest in Brisbane.  And on Sunday, I am excited to meet the girls I will be working with at brunch.  I do really love speechies... we love to eat and talk!  It is also whale migration time along the coast, so I am hoping to get to Stradbroke Island for some whale sightings. I'd also like to check out some Meetup groups around here  to meet some people.  Lots of research to do... Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment