Sunday, December 30, 2012

A broke girls guide to Melbourne - Part 1

Time to get creative and to S-P-R-E-A-D out the funds while waiting for work.  Melbourne is an awesome city and there are tons of free and cheap ways to stay busy if you take a little time to look.  

Ladies, do you need a clothes fix?  I know I did and Merry Christmas to me!  Head to the Op shop second hand store to for deals and new threads.


New orange jacket for the windy Melbourne nights, polka dot blouse, flower shirt for drinks, gray heels, and summer bag for $32!

Summer weather in Melbourne is nutty, but on a sunny day take a free stroll through the Botanical Gardens to get your workout on.



Time to talk food.  I've been on a Middle Eastern kick lately and on a mission for some good eats to satisfy.  After picking up fresh, local produce at the Queen Victoria Market, stop inside for a $3 borek for lunch.  This is a flaky phyllo dough filled with minced meats, veggies, and cheese. It can't be beat for a meal on the run.  Helpful hint - don't shy away from a line.  People waiting = something delicious that's worth the time.



Movie time!  Melbourne has several outdoor spots to catch a flick, but the Botanical Gardens Moonlight Cinema can't be beat for $13.  Just in case you forget you are in Australia, take a  look up.  Bats fly past the moon, bugs torpedo into your head, and critters run through the park as you watch a new or your favorite old film.  Booze and food are welcome.  I loved Skyfall and the atmosphere.  

http://www.moonlight.com.au/
Melbourne city in the background

After watching Anthony Bourdain's episode of No Reservations in Melbourne, I had to hightail it to the Lebanese bakery on Sydney Street.  These cute little baklava bites are $1 per piece and perfect for those watching their waistline.  The bite size treat is easy to eat with a cup of hot coffee from the beans of McIver's at Queen Vic Market.  But who am I kidding? These lasted me less than 24 hours :)

On a funny note, I had my first "trial run" as a waitress at a new cafe in West Brunswick called Lolo and Wren.  I enjoyed the atmosphere and the cash in my pocket, but felt a little awkward at first.  I had to channel my hostess days at Bahama Breeze and put on the service hat for the morning.  Here's hoping I get called back!  It would be fun to work in a cafe and learn about the coffee and local food.

Stay tuned for more deals coming soon....


2 comments:

  1. Hey Melanie, if you're looking to find out more about the local Melbourne scene, try using pubstars.com.au

    It's our Melbourne review site that explores all the pubs around the city and it's inner suburbs. :) def worth a look and maybe a mention to people that are new to the city and are looking for a local place to go for a drink!

    Cheers!

    Eddie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the recommendation Eddie! Will check this out and let others know. Cheers! Melanie

    ReplyDelete